Saturday, July 2, 2011

That will be blah, blah, blah euros please

When we first arrived in France I realized my comprehension of french numbers was quite weak.  I'd never appreciated how important it is to have a great grasp of numbers.  Numbers are SO integrated into our consciousness.  Translation is just not possible if you want to survive in a francophone country.

I used a few apps on my iPad and the web to improve my comprehension but I was a little frustrated with the lack of good tools for this particular language problem. So....I wrote these tools.  Hopefully these will help other folks learn their numbers.

French Number Practice Tools

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool, Jim. Did you get a friend to record the times and amounts? One suggestion: check your spelling. I noticed a couple of misspellings - ferra should be fera, hueres should be heures. Otherwise, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Our friend Juliette did all of the french recordings. She has a beautiful voice. One of my realizations during our year was that French CAN be beautiful. But it can be quite ugly as well. It really depends on the speaker.


    Thanks so much for the edits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest challenge for me wasn't numbers, but military time. For the first month or so I would just blink at it stupidly, thinking "I'm staring at this bus schedule for too long." I don't even have that good of an excuse, because we USE it in the US. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also struggled with the 24 hour times. It helped to switch all of my stuff (web, iphone, etc) to 24 display. What is curious to me is the french use BOTH the 12 hour times and the 24 hour times.

    ReplyDelete