Monday, October 18, 2010

Au cinema

I (Jim) am a huge film fan so, of course, I've been anxious to get to the cinema.  We had out first film outing this evening.  It was great fun.

At least half of the movies in Paris right now are American films.   English films are almost always dubbed in french although I was surprised to see that many films in Paris are also now available "VO" (version originale, i.e., subtitled).   So....French or American.  We had some choices:

  1. See an American film subtitled.  Good american fun but not much french value,
  2. See an American film dubbed.  Non-starter (I thought).  To me dubbing is horrific.  I cannot believe how horribly a great film can be destroyed when dubbed. 
  3. See a French film.  Great experience but very hard to follow and appreciate with our french level.  Appreciating a film in another language is a very advanced language skill.  Also, I have watched ALOT of french films.  While I might laud their skill, I am rarely enthusiastic.  This is, perhaps, simply because I am not French: understanding a nuance sometimes requires some life experience in the culture.  

Our choice was 2: American film dubbed. We picked an animated film so it would be simpler to follow: "Moi, moche et méchant" ("Despicable Me" in the U.S.). And...the dubbing is not a problem with animated characters.

It was delightful!  We understood most of it and the parts we lost were not a problem because of the simplicity of the storyline.  It was curious to me that the film was totally translated, including titles, into French. There was hardly a smell of English except a few subtitles (the cardboard box with the words "Box of Shame" need to be translated) but the credits suggested that Steve Carell and a swath of Americans were the voice stars.  Hmmm.  At least the poster gave credit to Gad Elmaleh (Steve Carell's french stand-in).

We tried to see this film last night (Sunday) but the crowds were huge.  It would seem that Sunday is a movie night but Monday is dullsville (there were only a dozen of us in the theatre tonight).

Cost: 11€ each.



1 comment:

  1. Meet you for lunch Thursday? Baguette and coffee!! Don't I wish!!!

    ReplyDelete